What to do if I was in an accident while on the job but do not have medical insurance?

I was at fault for crossing the yellow lines. I racked up maybe $7,000-$8,000 in hopsital bills. Since I was on the job delivering pizzas, can I get them to reimburse me for what I’ve paid and cover whats left? Not only was I forced to quit because my car was totaled but since I “quit” the job I got cut of from the unemployment tht I was receiving since last year. My one issue is do to back taxes my car was not registered at the time.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Personal Injury, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your job is not your insurer; your employer is only responsible for your injuries if it was at fault in some way. From what you write, however, your employer was not at fault--you admit that you are at fault for how you drove, and you were apparently driving your own car. Therefore, since the employer was not at fault for your injuries or accident, they are not obligated to pay you anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.