If I was in a accident involving 5 vehicles and was driving a company van, even though it was a company vehicle, should I notify my personal insurance and/or hire my own attorney?

At the hospital I was cited for the accident failure to use due care. I am fighting this citation but am now receiving letters from attorneys about the accident. I worried that I will be sued personally.

Asked on September 13, 2015 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't need to notify your personal insurance or hire an attorney because the company is liable for the accident since it is the registered owner of the vehicle you were driving.
If the case is not settled with the company's auto insurance carrier, both you and the company will be named as defendants in a lawsuit for negligence filed by the owners of the five vehicles or less than the five vehicle owners if the case settled with some or any of them.  The company will be primarily liable because it is the registered owner of the vehicle. The company's auto insurance carrier should provide you and the company with an attorney at no cost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.