If I was in an accident in which I was rear-ended at 50 mph and I suffered injuries, do I have a case against the auto manufacturer if my airbag did not deploy?

I was slammed into the car in front of me; my car is completely totaled. Below my eye socket is fracture and I have a bad concussion because my air bag did not deploy. I had no light on saying that it was inactive or not working.

Asked on October 16, 2014 under Personal Injury, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You may have a case, IF an airbag is supposed to deploy when hit from behind at that speed; the question is, did it not live up to its design specs or standards? If an airbag should have deployed under these circumstances but did not, and that failure contributed (as it seems it would have) to your injuries, you may well have a viable case. Do some preliminary researc on the subject: speak with your automechanic, go to car manufacturer and safety or government organization websites, and see if it appears that an airbag should have deployed in such a collision. If there's reason to think it should have, then speak with a personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.