If I was implicated in an offense but live in another state and a warrant was issued that the authorities won’t extradite on, will the warrant ever expire?

I was implicated in an offense 10 years ago but have lived in another state for the last 13 years. I called and talk to the detectives back told them that I was not involved and lived out of state and couldn’t come back. I believe that the statute of limitations would apply. What can I do?

Asked on July 15, 2015 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Warrants do not expire. The statute of limitations as to do with when charges are brought, however once they have been brought, the statute does not apply. Accordingly, you will need to deal with this, and the sooner the better. Just because you will not be extradited does not mean that you can't be affected by this. It could turn up in an employment background check. Also, it you are ever stopped by this police and this pops up, you can be taken into custody. Even it you are not extradited and are subsequently released, it will still be embarrassing and inconvenient.

Additionally, you will need to not only handle the warrant but the underlying charge as well. Accordingly, you really should consult with legal counsel about all of this. You should contact a criminal lawyer who practices in the area where all of this occurred. They can use their contacts within the local court system to your best advantage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.