What to do about a bill that was already paid but for which I am now being charged?

I had my car impounded about a month ago. Then 5 days after it was impounded, I was able to go to the police station pay to have the car released. The police station gave me the release papers to take to the tow yard where my car was being kept. I went to the tow yard paid the guy the tow and storage fees he gave me the recept and brought the car out from a locked garage that was behind a lock fence. Now today I just got I notice in the mail from the DMV that says the tow yard is trying to put a lean on my car so they can sell it for money that I never paid them, when in fact I did pay them and they released the car to me. The receipt even says the time and the date the car was released to me.

Asked on March 7, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I would call and write the DMV stating that you paid the company for storage and towing of your vehicle and send a copy of the receipt that you received. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.