If I was hit on a riding lawn mower while crossing the street and received a ticket, can the person who hit me sue me and, if so, do I need to get a lawyer?

Asked on March 17, 2015 under Accident Law, Florida


Billie Ruth Edwards / Edwards & Johnson, Attorneys, LLC

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the person who hit you can sue you. More likely it will be their insurance company.

If you were working for someone at the time, they can sue them as well. If you were working for someone and were covered under their insurance policy, the insurance company will provide a lawyer for your employer to defend charges of your negligence. If you were not working for someone, and are sued, check your homeowner's or auto insurance. Either might offer coverage, and if so, the insurance company will hire an attorney to defend you.

If settlement cannot be reached with the other driver's insurance compny (or the other driver), and you have no insurance coverage, you may have to hire an attorney to defend or negotiate for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.