What is a fair settlement offer if I was hit from the rear by a tow truck?

The tow truck was trying to illegally repo my vehicle while I was still inside. This caused injury to my neck and back. I went to the emergency room and completed my chiropractor visit. My bills are around $7000.

Asked on April 27, 2017 under Personal Injury, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

in this case, it would be worth consullting with an attorney (usually such consultations are free). The fact is that people who have legal representation typically receive substantially higher settlements than those who do not. For most people, they are inexperienced in these type negotiations. The fact is that it can be complicated and confusing dealing directly with an insurance company regarding a personal injury claim.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that you are having or did have pain and disability from the injury, but will not experience significant long-term or permanent effects, a reasonable settlement is your out-of-pocket (paid by you, not insurance) medical bills, plus an amount equal to anywhere from 1/3 - 2/3 of your medical bills for your pain and suffering, plus any lost wages due to the injury, plus any not-paid-by-insurance property (e.g. car) damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.