How do I collect on a judgment regarding a personal injury?

I was hit by drunk driver 8 years ago. The driver was a young girl who was without insurance. I received a judgement from the court against her in which she would have to make payments to me. While on probation she made an $80 monthly payment but not consistently. Now that she has no more probation, I haven’t received any money. I need help to see what my next move is.

Asked on February 27, 2013 under Personal Injury, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Here is a link to a site that you may find to be of help:

I don't know your exact location (the above site link is for Orange County) but the rules for enforcing judgements are generally the same (you can google your specificic area). Just be aware, that you need to move on this matter sooner thanlater. The reason is that once someone obtains a money judgment in CA, it will last for only 10 years. At the end of that time, the judgment is no longer enforceable unless it has been renewed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.