What to do if I was hit by a police officer who left the scene?

It took them over a week to produce a police report. I have no vehicle, no rental, am in pain and can’t get any clear answers from anyone. I consulted a lawyer who seems apprehensive about going against the police department. Am I being setup for failure?

Asked on February 12, 2013 under Accident Law, Missouri


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need a new lawyer. Period. The police officer will need t be questioned and if it is taking this long for a police report, it may be suspicious. You need to get someone who can clearly provide more answers and get more answers. Hire a new lawyer; this one with whom you spoke appears inexperienced.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.