What, if any, legal rights do I have to get reimbursed my $500 deductible if I was hit by a drunk driver?

There were officers tending to another incident who witnessed the accident and told me I was not at fault. I had to pay my deductible to have my car fixed and my insurance company told me I’d have to recover it from the other driver’s insurance(premier insurance). That company claims they are not the “actual” insurance company and that I would have to find out the “actual” company and refused to look the drunk driver’s name up. I obtained the other druver’s number through a police report, but they wouldn’t tell me their insurance company and now won’t answer their phone.

Asked on December 1, 2012 under Accident Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your only way to recover the $500 if the at-fault driver will not voluntarily pay or divulge his insurer (who, by the way, could refuse to pay anyway, putting you back in the same spot) is to sue the at-fault driver. The most cost effective way to do this is to sue him in small claims court, where you could act as your own attorney (no legal fees), filing costs are low, and cases move comparatively quickly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.