If I was hit by a car on my bike, what is a reasonable amount to settle the case at?

The driver took complete responsibility for the accident. I didn’t sustain any long lasting injuries, but I did have a fairly substantial amount of pain for a month and a half and had a notable reduction in quality of life (my hobbies include rock climbing, biking, snowboarding, etc. – none of which I was able to participate in). I had to go to the hospital on the night of the accident and an orthopedic specialist a few weeks after. I also spent a pretty substantial amount of hours working with the various adjusters.After quite a bit of back and forth, I received a final offer of $2,600 (initial offer was $500). Is this or arbitration better?

Asked on June 25, 2014 under Personal Injury, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The answer to your question is best answered after you consult with a personal injury attorney in your locality since there are too many variables to give you advice based upon what you have written. Such an attorney can be found on attorneypages.com. If you did not sustain much wage loss and medical bills, then it seems that the $2,600 amount offered is not a bad proposal based upon what you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.