What to do if I was hit by a car about a year ago while jogging and since then I’ve been having ever-worsening back, muscle, and joint pain?

I believe it’s due to the accident. I was crossing the street in a residential area and not in a crosswalk. I looked over my shoulder but didn’t see or hear the car as it was a Prius and I had headphones on. If it does turn out my back and neck pain are due to the car accident, do I have any chance of winning if I sue the driver’s insurance?

Asked on June 10, 2014 under Personal Injury, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You don't sue the driver's insurance; you sue the driver. (His insurance may pay to defend him and/or pay any judgment against him, but it's the driver who is potentially liable, if he was at fault.) As to whether you will win--it depends on the circumstances, but from what you write, there's a good chance you'd lose, since you were evidently careless, or negligent, in at least two ways: 1) not crossing at the crosswalk (so not crossing in the expected, proper place); and 2) wearing headphones while crossing the street (which impairs you ability to sense cars and other danger). If you were largely at fault and not the driver, you will not be able to recover any substantial amount, or possibly, depending on the exact circumstances, anything at all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.