What to do if I was hit at an intersection on the highway but I have the driver’s name, phone number and license plate number?

The other person bumped into the back of my car while trying to switch lanes. The cops weren’t called to the scene, but now she’s not answering the phone. I have filed a civilian collision report and filed a claim with the license plate number. Is there anything else I can do? Would I be able to win this? Or should I sue in small claims court? However, the driver of the car is not the owner of the car. This is my first accident so I’m a bit inexperienced as to what to do.

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Accident Law, New York


Chris Miao / The Law Office of Lee & Miao, PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You should do a search with the DMV (small fee may apply) with the license plate number to obtain the insurance carrier.  You will also want to go to the police precinct and try to file and obtain a police report.

If this is just a claim for property damage and not for injuries that you have sustained, once you file a claim with their insurance company, they should be able to assist you further.

If, however, you have injuries, you should contact an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.