I was going 72 in a 55 and received a 90 ticket.

The officer said I can just pay it and get
a point on my license or I can go to
court. I really don’t want a point on my
license because I have never had a
traffic violation. Do I plead guilty or ??

Asked on May 9, 2016 under General Practice, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you go to court and otherwise have a clean driving record, there is a chance--but not a guaranty--that if you meet with prosecutor when you get there, that he will agree to let you plead to a "no points" violation (though it may well have a larger, possibly much larger fine), possibly conditioned on you taking some "defensive driving" class. You need to decide whether the chance of avoiding the point is worth taking the time to go to court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.