What to do if I was given a ticket for an MIP?

I am 20 years old with no priors. If I plead guilty, what will the most likely outcome be? My court date is 6 days away. Is it too late to get a lawyer now anyway? I also saw that it may be possible to do a pre trial diversion program that will make the charge not go on my record. Is that something that I would be able to do?

Asked on October 13, 2015 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In MS, anyone under the age of 21 years old who is charged with, and convicted of, an MIP is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a fine between $200 - $500. That having been said, state law allows a trial judge to suspend any penalties/fines placed on a minor who has pled guilty to the charge in exchange for an alternative sentence. The court may suspend the minor’s driver’s license for up to 90 days and place them on probation subject to certain conditions set by the judge. If  the probationary term is successfully completed, the offender’s license will be returned and a conviction will not be entered against them.
At this point, you need to consult with a criminal alw attorney who specializes in these type cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.