What to do if I was given a citation for theft under $300 but I wasn’t taken downtown?

I have a court date and I already told the officer that I did intend on stealing the merchandise. It was a stupid mistake led by poor judgement due to my fianancial hardship at the moment, it just all got to my head. I have never been arrested or in trouble before. I’m a full-time college student who graduated high school in the top of the class. What can I do for getting this not put on my record, not getting jail time and just getting the matter eliminated? I’m only 19 and I’m terrified. I cooperated with the police and told the honest truth.

Asked on August 27, 2013 under Criminal Law, Florida


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

A theft offense can be very serious.  While any theft under $500 is a misdemeanor. Such an offense is still punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine.  The collateral consequences of a conviction can also be extremely significant and preclude a person from finding employment where background checks are performed. 
Often, if you have no prior offenses, a conviction can be avoided with a Stay of Prosecution.  A Stay of Prosecution means that the offense is never recorded on your record and stayed for a certain periofd of time to ensure that you do not have another offense.  
We can assist you in making sure that your record is not affected. 
For a FREE consultation call 612.240.8005.

Maury D. Beaulier

Attorney at Law

(612) 240-8005

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.