If I was found guilty of an open container charge that I never contested because I did not know the seriousness of the case at the time, can I reopen it?

Can you assist me in reopening the case to have it reheard and eventually dismissed and eligible for expungement? I’m headed for a big job soon and I want to get things cleared up if I can before the time comes. I also have some failure to be booked (3) charges that I would like to get removed. I’m in need of some assistance.

Asked on July 28, 2012 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the matter you have written about is to consult with a criminal defense attorney to assist you in the matter that you have written about.

If the open container case was dismissed, then there is no conviction to hurt your chances of getting the job that you want with respect to the interview you have coming up. Since there is no conviction, there is nothing to expunge.

If you have not been actually convicted of a crime then there is nothing to worry about in the interview. Many people are charged with a crime but are not convicted of such.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.