What to do if I was forwarded a notice of dismissal by plaintiff (no answer or motion has been served upon the plaintiff by the defendant) without prejudice?

Which took place in a state I haven’t lived in for nearly a year and is dated 2 months ago. I was never served anything officially and actually have no idea what this is over. It’s from a company I never heard of or dealt with. What should I do next?

Asked on December 11, 2015 under Business Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Contact the plaintiff and ask about why you were sent this: explain that you have no idea what this in regards to and that you never heard of the company at issue in this matter. It was most likely sent to you by mistake, and once they know it was sent to the wrong person, they will sent it to the correct one; but you won't know what is up until you ask.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.