I was fired today for some really crazy untrue accusations and now they told everyone so I am so embarrased I could die!!!

theyre accusing me of taking a tape dispenser that was mine & using postage stamps 4 personal use (every1 does it) & 4 supposeably clocking in some1 who wasn’t there. These are false allegations & the compay has merged so I know that is why they let us both go she was fired 4 stealing a highlighter (yes a 25 cent marker) & having to many tardies we both have never been wrote up or had any warnings so I dont know where all of this is comming from it all started when the new manager started and now she has told several people these things & i’m so mortified please let me know if you can help us

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Okay, so here is the deal: Unless you have an agreement with your company (i.e., you are under a contract or under a collective bargaining agreement or your handbook says you can only be fired for cause), you are an at will employee and can be fired with or without cause.

In terms of the rumors she is spreading -- stealing -- if it is false it can be construed as libel or slander (i.e., defamation).  Contact a labor law attorney to help you figure out whether you should apply for unemployment, and pursue the issues of defamation. 

Try www.attorneypages.com and check his or her record at the Michigan State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.