What to do if I was fired from my job for writing on Facebook?

Now another employee just did the same and she still has her job. I feel, and umemployment said, that I was wrongly terminated. Do I have a case to sue?

Asked on January 14, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You may not have a case to sue. While the law is still developing in this area, private employers can generally terminate someone for writing something inappropriate on  Facebook if the employer became aware of such comment without having to do anything illegal (that is, the employer did not, for example, access your Facebook account without permission) and if the comment was not protected by labor laws (so it was not a call to unionize or organize, a criticism of management policy, etc.). So if you posted something offensive about a client, about co-workers or a manager (not about management policy; personally offensive about a particular manager), or made a racially, ethnically, etc. insensitive remark, or a politically-charged statement that the employer does not want to be associated with, etc., then you could be fired. Basically, if you could be fired for having said it at a company party, at a client's, or work, then you could be fired for saying it on Facebook, as long as the company legallly became aware of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.