CanI be I fired from a job for being to short?

I was working for a company from the middle of May until the end of August and had no problem. However I was put in a different building and the station that they put me at was over my head and wide and I had a hard time reaching it. Between my shoulder blade was hurting and the next day and I asked not to do the job that day They fired me and told me that I had to be able to work all stations. I ask to be moved to another department and I was told that could not be done.

Asked on September 10, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with an employment attorney. As a general matter, there is no legal protection for height under either federal or state law, so a question may be whether, or employment purposes, being short is considered a "disability," which is protected from discrimination. (Note: in the absence of specific legal protection, an employee may be fired for essentially any reason.) If being short would be a "disability" for this purpose, then the company would be required to make reasonable accomodations. Since many lawyers will provide a free initial consultation, I recommend you speak with an employment law attorney who will do so, to see if  you might possibly have a legal claim worth pursuing. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.