Do I have any rights if I was fired for no reason?

Asked on October 28, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that unless you were rtotected bythe the terms of an employment contract, union agreement or company policy, your firing was legal. The fact is that most employment relationships are what is known as "at will". This means that the employer can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. This includes who to fire and why. In fact, an employee can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.
Basically, the only exception to the above is if an employee's treatment constitutes some form of actionable discrimination or retlaliation. So for example, a worker cannot be fired due to their race, religion, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability. Absent that, that all employees need not be treated the same or even fairly.
If you think that you have a claim here, you should consult directly with an employment law attorney inyour area and/or contact your state's department of labor for further information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.