If I was fired due to false accusations from a co-worker, do I have a wrongful termination case?

She told HR i threatened to punch her in the face. No investigation was done; my side of the story was not told I was just let go. I have witnessess willing to defend me. What do I do?

Asked on August 21, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, in the absence of an employment contract, your employer could almost certainly legally fire you in this case, even if your co-worker lied. That because if you don't have a contract, you are an employee at will, and an employee at will may be fired at any time, for any reason, or even without any good reason at all.

However, if the co-worker lied, you may be able to sue her for defamation,  since defamation is making false factual statements about you (such as that you threatened to punch someone, if you did not) to other people, which statements damage your reputation or cause others to not want to work with you. If you think this was what happened, you should consult with a personal injury attorney about a possible case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.