What can I do if I was fired because my employer’s daughter doesn’t want me to work for her father anymore?

My employer owes me 3 weeks paid vacation from last year and 2 weeks this year. Can I still claim this?

Asked on October 3, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't do anything unless you had a written employment contract if you did, you can enforce its terms, by lawsuit if necessary, if they are helpful to you. That is because without a contract, you can be fired at any time, for any reason--including that your employer's daughter wants you gone and employers are not required to pay out unused vacation time unless there was a written contract obligating them to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.