I was fired after my previous employer contacted my new employer about a facebook post he found as a threat?

He called the police on me and told them lies, like I was on his property stalking him and calling his office. None of this is true. The new company also never told me the real reason and forced me to sign separation paperwork that wasnt filled out. Yes, it was not a good post but he has taken this too far and is making it impossible for me to earn a living. I am in fear of him and what he will do to me in the future is there anything I can do? He has lied about me in the past and has done it again.

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you did not have an employment contract at the new employer, you were an employee at will and could be terminated at any time for any reason--including a seemingly threatening post or other warning about you--without need to verify that information. So your new employer could terminate you.

You may be able to sue your former employer for defamation. Defamation is when someone publically (which means to even one other person) makes an untrue statement of fact which damages your reputation or makes others not want to work with you. While opinions (e.g. "John Doe always gave me the creeps") and true facts are not defamation, false facts stated about you can be; so if you believe your former employer is stating false facts about you, you may have a legal claim against him. You should consult with a personal injury attorney to discuss the situation and options in greater detail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.