What an I do if I was fired after 32 years of service?

The reason was mangement was moving in new direction. I believe it was due to a voluntary survey that the company submitted to all employees. As a manager I was held responsible for the results. The employees was very upset with upper management so the results were very bad. Is there anything that I can do?

Asked on October 9, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless you had a written employment contract limiting the reasons you could be terminated, you may be terminated either due to empoyee feedback or management moving in a new direction--both are legal reasons to terminate someone.
You write that you had 32 years of service that means you are over 40. If you believe that the real reason you were fired was your age, either directly someone discriminating against an older employee or indirectly presumably, due to seniority and regular raises, you have a higher salary than many younger managers sometimes companies try to eliminate older managers to cut payroll, etc. costs, then you may have a viable claim for illegal age-based employment discrimination. Of course, an older employee may be terminated for many viable and legal reasons--the issue is, are those reasons pretexts, and the real reason is age? If you think that is the case, either speak with an employment law attorney, or contact one or both of the federal EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency to discuss filing a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.