Legally, can I be fired because I am looking for another job?

I was employed for almost 2 years at a non-profit. This non-profit does not have benefits for their employees. I started looking for another job that had benefits. I informed my employer that I was looking and that they may call her for a reference. I also told her if I did find something, I would give her my 2 weeks notice. However, she fired me after 2 weeks. I never gave her my 2 week notice because I have not found another job.

Asked on October 13, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can be filed for this reason, any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. The fact is that most employment relationships are what is known as "at will". This means that an employer can set the terms and conditions of employment much as it sees fit this includes who to fire, when and why.
So unless that you were protected by the terms of an employment contract, union agreement or company policy, or your treatment was due to some form of actionable discrimination or retaliation, your termination was not illegal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.