If I was employed for 2 months and then let go, am I entitled to a copy of the physical that my employer paid for me?

I would like a copy of my physical; they paid for it at beginning of ,y employment. They refuse to give me a copy. Is that illegal? Does HIPPA apply?

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

HIPPA does not apply to your physical because it was something that your employer needed for work purposes as to your employement and you agreed to the physical. However, since the examination was done on you, you are entitle to a copy of it under the laws of all states in this country regardless if you did not pay for it. I would submit a written demand for the physical of yourself. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.