What to do if I was employed by an individual and my employment included an apartment and now I am being asked to move?

I worked for an elderly lady assisting in cleaning, help with pets, errands, etc. My apartment was part of my pay. When I moved into the apartment it needed a lot of work;the elderly lady (who by the way is the owner of the building) bought all materials and I did all the labor. I presented her with a invoice for all the work I had done and now I don’t have a job. She has asked me to move by next week and she has not paid me for all the work I did. What are my rights?

Asked on June 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Well, if you were fired and the apartment was part of the job you have to move.  BUt you should absolutely be paid for your work if that was part of the agreement as well.  You are going ot have to prove this contract in order to recover in a suit against her.  Probably small claims court.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.