What can I do if I think that I was wrongfully dismissed from my job?

I was dismissed from my job last week. The reason I was given was that I was “behind in my progression”. However, that could not have been further from the truth. In fact, during my 14 months with the company I was certified to teach every live class offered by our department. Also, we were supposed to maintain a minimum of an 85% satisfaction result on 2 key questions on each completed survey for each course that is taught; my numbers for both questions, according to the 378 people I taught so far this year were – 96.50 and 92.75%. Additionally, I was never late in my time, I never took a vacation in my time, I was never disciplined for behavioral issues in my time and I was never given a written or verbal warning regarding my performance.

Asked on July 15, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Most employment relationships are what is known as "at will". This means that an employee may be fired at any time and for any reason or for no reason at all (with or without notice). However, there are some exceptions to this. If your dismissal violated an agreement or some sort of implied promise, that would be illegal. For example, did your dismissal violate a union agreement, employment contract, company policy or other understanding? If not than it was not wrongful. Additionally, no form of actionable discrimination must have been a factor in your termination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.