What are my rights if my private financial information was disclosed to unauthorized people?

I was denied a mortgage due to credit history, I authorized that the mortgage company denied me send by complete mortgage file and credit reports to another mortgage company. The request was granted but the mortgage company sent it to unauthorized persons as well (the builder, and the sales office. All of these parties had access to my password secured file to revealed all information including credit scores. This is clearly a violation of my financial prvacy, the VP of the Mortgage company apologized and said that he would make good on the mortgage, this is an admitance of guilt that the bank loan originator violated my privacy.

Asked on November 16, 2014 under Business Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they violated your privacy and shared private information--but, apart from feeling vioalted or outraged, how have you been injured or damaged? The law only provides compensation for actual losses or costs, not hypothetical ones or for emotional upset, no matter how understandably justified. If you have not been injured (suffered a theft or identity theft, for example) due to this breach, you would not have a viable lawsuit or cause of action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.