If I was convicted of felony theft more than a decade ago, what things are necessary for restoration of all civil rights including the right to bear arms?

My state has a form to restore “voter rights”. What else in necessary for restoring the rest of my civil rights?

Asked on January 30, 2013 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about the process if filing a petition with the court where you were convicted to "expunge" your criminal conviction as well as to restore assorted civil rights that you no longer have due to the criminal conviction.

Not all petitions for an expungement of a criminal conviction are granted as well as all petitions to restore lost civil rights. Ordinarily the court looks at the time between the conviction and the request, the reason for the request and what the person filing the petition suggested above has done with their life since the criminal conviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.