Can I sue an amusement park for injuries that I sustained there?

I was coming down a slide at water park. On the way down both of my heels hit the bottom of the pool really hard. I got bad bruises on both heels. Now, after 2 weeks, I still have problems walking, can’t wear shoes and have pain. Can I file a claim?

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Personal Injury, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can potentially file a claim if the depth of the pool was not adequate for the expected users or the size of the slide... or some other structural defect.  You also have to show that the defect was the proximate cause of your injuries.  So your first step is to visit with your doctor and get their assessment. (namely, double check this is not some sudden onset of a inherited condition, but instead is some injury related to a blunt trauma consistent with your described injury.)  Your next step should be to visit with a personal injury attorney.  If you can take them a picture of the slide and a copy of your doctor's assessment, they will be able to give you a better idea of the degree of success you can expect and whether the water park will have any defenses (like the "swim at your own risk" posters)  You may not get a huge settlement, but you may be able to get enough to at least cover the doctor bills associated with your recovery.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.