If I was cited for possession of marijuana, what will the consequences be?

I am planning to plea no contest. Will I be stripped of my financial aid? Is there anything I can do/tell the judge to lower the consequences?

Asked on February 27, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You really should retain an attorney to help you with this. An experienced criminallalwyer may be able to get the case dismissed or at least arrange for you to be given "diversion". This is an alternative sentencing tool that may leave you without a criminal record. The fact is that a conviction could jepoardize student loans, future rental housing, employment, etc. Again, speak with an attorney. By the way, a plea of "no contest" is the same a pleading guilty; it only help in  is of in any later civil proceedings (which are probalbly not an issue in your case).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.