Can I have my record expunged if I was never charged?

I was charged with theft at a place of employment 9 years ago. I wasn’t arrested but the police station contacted me and had me come to the station. Once there, I was fingerprinted. We went to court but there was no trial or hearing because they agreed to drop everything if I paid them back. I paid the company back. A background check for employment was recently done and the charges showed up on the background check.

Asked on February 7, 2013 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

There is no criminal conviction against you to be expunged based upon upon what you have written about. The problem is that since you were arrested there is a record of the arrest on a background check. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about filing a petition to seal the court record where you were arrested.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.