If I was charged for Class B possession of marijuana, a misdemeanor, should I seek legal representation or would it be ok for me to take this on by myself?

The court will say I can afford a lawyer but in reality I cannot. And they told me not to come back without a lawyer.

Asked on March 2, 2015 under Criminal Law, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You should be represented by an attorney.  Without an attorney, you will be at a distinct disadvantage when prosecution of your case occurs.  If you are convicted because you don't have an attorney, the conviction on your record will have an adverse impact on your future employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.