If I was charged with obstruction and the charges were declined but the charge still shows up on my record, how do I fix this?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Criminal Law, Washington


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Depending on your history and the status of your case (i.e. the state isn't looking to refile the charges after the declination), then you may be able to get an expunction or an order of non-disclosure.  Start by requested a copy of the offense report from the arresting agency and a copy of the file from the DA's office (if they will give it to you) along with a disposition sheet.  If you're not comfortable making these requests, then a criminal defense attorney can help you with them.  Most criminal defense attorney are usually familiar with the expunction practices and procedures in their jurisdictions because it's a frequent issue in criminal law case. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.