How will a misdemeanor petty theft effecta career as a pursue preschool teacher?

I was charged with misdemeanor petty theft last year. I have a 3 year informal probation. I really want to pursue child development as a preschool teacher but I am unsure if I will be able to find jobs at childcare centers with that misdemeanor. Will it affect me enough to prevent me from getting any childcare jobs once I graduate? So far I heard only the more sex-related and violent crimes or felonies are really what they look at but I just want to be sure so that I can continue pursuing my degree with more confidence. I do plan on expunging it in the future eventually.

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There is always the chance that the misdemeanor conviction for theft could have a negative effect upon your desired career as a pre-school teacher in that the conviction may very well pop up in a back ground check of you.

However, if you are able to get the conviction expunged, there is a good chance that the conviction will not appear on any background check and if so, there should be no fall out as to you concerning your career plans.

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about the expungement and the conviction upon your desired career path.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.