If I was charged with illegal transportation of alcohol, what should I expect?

I wasn’t aware of the law and that it was a crime and I do not know what to expect or the consequences. I am from Indiana and I heard about the diversion program. Is that a viable option since I have no criminal history?

Asked on April 1, 2015 under Criminal Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

This falls under the various Alcohol Offenses in Indiana.  It is a Class C misdeamenor and if done while operating a vehicle you can have your licensse suspended for up to one your if you are over 18, 60 days if you are under 18. It is quite possible to enter into a diversion program if this offense is grouped with other intoxication offenses (MIP and thelike) and there are programs for those offenses. Please speak with an attorney asap. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.