What to do if I was charged with battery family violence but I was never given the opportunity to make a written statement nor read my rights?

My soon-to-be ex-wife gave her statement which included lies about who started the physical confrontation, who owned the property the confrontation was started over, and excluded parts of the confrontation. Am I screwed since she has already made her statement and it’s her word against mine or is there something I can do to defend myself in this case?

Asked on February 23, 2013 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about your matter and not make any statement that could incriminate you. Based upon what you have written, you were not required to be read your rights because you were not arrested and taken into custody.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.