What to do if I was charged with a misdemeanor of possession of a small amount of marijuana?

I went to my court date and was charged with paying a fine of $200. I never paid the fine (and the due date was months ago), so I’m now assuming that there is a warrant for my arrest. How can I clear this issue up?

Asked on February 19, 2013 under Criminal Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What your fine was based upon could determine if you could get jail time or not.  Failure to pay restitution, for example, could land you in jail.  The best thing for you to do is to speak with an attorney and pay the fine asap.  Eventually you will have to go before  a judge if there was a warrant issued as you say.  You can generally check on line to see if there is a warrant but having the lawyer run interference is the best bet.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.