If I was charged witha DUI and bonded out of jail but missed the court date due to being arrested elsewhere, what will happen?

A FTA bench warrant has been issued for me but I’ve been told I might be able to contact the clerk of courts to pay a fine to have it rescheduled. My plea – on the date I missed while incarcerated elsewhere – was not to include any jail time as it was my first offense. Will it now?

Asked on November 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have an outstanding warrant out for you due to your failure to make a court appearance, it is best that you consult a criminal defense attorney to assist you in the matter before a bad situation becomes worse.

If you have a defense attorney appear for you in the matter where a bench warrant was issued, most likely he or she will be able to clear it without a negative effect upon you. Whether you get jail time or not for the offense that you missed a court appearance for is an unknown. Most likely you will not if convicted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.