What to do if I was charged for leaving the scene of an accident?

I ran off the road and hit a tree in someone’s back yard, the officer wrote in his police report that there were open containers that honestly didn’t belong to me it was in my sisters purse. I was later found by the same officer pass out in someone’s front door with an alcohol level well over the legal limit. I was charged for an AI and spent the night in jail. The officer knew It was car bc It had my passport in it and a witness saw a person matching my description leaving the scene. The next day I had to get release papers for my car and was charged for leaving the scene of an accident. I have never had even a speeding ticket on my record before. How can I get out of the hit and run?

Asked on April 16, 2014 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Given the serious situation that you are in, I suggest that you immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney in the county and state where you were cited to assist you in the matter written about. You will need the help of an expert. Such an attorney in this community can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.