What to do if I was changed from full to part-time status and my employer says it will only pay half of my earned vacation time instead of full vacation time?

It was always my understanding that my vacation time was just that, mine. All of it. They also took my sick days and personal float days, which I can understand. However, I’ve heard from several sources that my vacation time should be paid in full.

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country if an employee has earned vacation, he or she is entitled to use such within a reasonable time or lose it after written notice is given by the employer.

Since you are now on part time status, then the way you would accrue future vacation time would be based upon how such is spelled out in the presumed employer employee hand book, most likely on a pro-rated basis.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.