What to do if I was caught shoplifting?

I have had a previous, unrelated misdameanor 6 years ago that was expunged 2 years ago. Can this come up in court? Should I hire a a criminal law attorney or have one appointed? It has been a hard few months for me due to my wife’s pregnancy complications and my grandfather passing. The store would not take a return on a defective, damaged item. I picked it up after getting my other items and decided to stick it in my pocket on the way to the checkout. The total value of the item was $10. I received a court summons and left the store. I’m in Akron, OH.

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you were caught shoplifting and have a criminal charge pending as a result, you should immediately retain a criminal defense attorney to represent you in the upcoming court matter. The last thing you need with a child on the way is a conviction with jail time. Hopefully a criminal defense attorney will be able to minimize the seriousness of your situation.

As to the prior misdemeanor that was expunged two (2) years ago, it it was actually expunged it will not show up on your permanent record as a conviction.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.