If I was caught driving without a license because I am not a U.S citizen, amI able to get back to the U.S after I got voluntary depart?

Asked on September 20, 2011 under Immigration Law, Arizona


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You do not need a US driver's license if you are just in the US as a tourist/visitor.  Non-US citizens drive in the US all the time.  Once you remain in the US for a prolonged period of time and change status, then you need to obtain a driver's license from the state where you reside.  If you are in the US and are now out of status and are driving without a license, you were "caught" not so much because you are driving without a license but because you are unlawfully present (I assume).  So, you would need to provide more detailed information about your actual status in the US and what specifically you were told by the immigration authorities.  You may be able to return to the US in the future if you are removed, but the conditions of that return (when and how) would need to be analyzed. I would strongly suggest that you consult with a qualified immigration attorney regarding your situation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.