If I was born at home and my parents never filed for a legal birth certificate, how do I register for a birth certificate?

Asked on August 31, 2012 under Family Law, Kansas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You should contact the department of vital records in the town in which you were born and explain what occurred. I am unsure how this could be for so long because you would have had to have a birth certificate in order to register for school, for medical procedures and for your driver's license. You may need to obtain witnesses who can attest to your birth and present this to the town clerk or go before a judge with a request for an order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.