If I was bitten by my tenant’s dog and now I’m in hospital but my tenant doesn’t have insurance, can I use my homeowner’s policy to recover losses?

I now have infections and had to have surgery and a treatment for rabies.

Asked on February 7, 2013 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I for sure would make a claim to your homeowner's insurance for the injuries you sustained from your tenant's dog. The problem I see is that most most likely your homeowner's policy will exclude injuries that you yourself suffered as opposed to a third party. I suggest that you contact your insurance agent further about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.