What to do if f I was awarded half of my e’xs retirement 2 years ago after 22 years of marriage but now she says she’s not giving it to me?

Am I right going to the courthouse and filing contempt tomorrow?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Family Law, California


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whenever there is a violation of a court order, the wronged party may file a motion for contempt.    In the motion, the offended party may reqeust that the offending party be incarcerated until such a time as he/she complies with the order of the court.  Attorneys fees may also be requested in the motion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.