If I was awarded the house and my ex was awarded the debt but did not pay the mortgage so the house was foreclosed on, is there anything I can do about it?

Asked on September 16, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This is a very common issue in divorce.  I wish that you had written before the actula foreclusre processs.  What you are going to have to do is to go back to court based upon his breach of the agreement.  Some one needs to read the agreement and the court orders and figure out what alternative you have at this point in time.  Maybe a monetary compensation reduced to a ajudgement so that you can go after him?  But is there a deficiency judgement against you?  That could be tricky.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.